Thursday, September 8, 2022

The Hardest Thing I ever Did

 

 I recently bought this book, Burn after writing.  And while not all things will be shared, this prompt I thought I would share.  That and other lighter things.


This is something that I suspect will change as life goes on and offers new challenges.  For now the hardest thing I have ever done is start over.


Not quite literally but just a drastic change in the direction of my career.  Starting to travel for work was a big deal.  It took me out of my comfort zone and very nearly didn't happen.  I am and was, as nearly all of us are: a creature of habit.  I like the familiar and most of the time revel in the routine of my life. 

Constant change and I are not friends, I am extroverted enough that I need regular social interaction, and introverted enough that I prefer it from the same circle of friends.  Traveling for work brings with it joys and thrills but those same thrills can sometimes make me feel lonely and scared.  However, overall it has been totally and completely worth it.  Every bit of it. 

It has taught me that I do have what it takes to take care of myself, independent of my family.  That I can take care of myself and that while I would love living within easy distance of my friends and family, I also truly value living alone.

I am by no means a globe trotter but this allowed me to explore new places.  To see fall, to see snow for the first time in my life.  And given me a deeper understanding of my roots and love of my home, even despite the times it feels constraining.

I think it's why songs about wanderlust and traveling have always sung to a part of my soul.  The blessing or the curse of this, depending on your perspective is that I leave pieces of myself wherever I go, small seeds planted in each place I go, with the potential for each to be home to me.  And at the same time a deep tie to my roots, to my home town, that continues to pull me back.
Disney World, FL
Baltimore MD

No comments:

Post a Comment